Last night I found we'd run out of bread, sausage rolls, pork pies, and all things "lunchy" so today I had been struggling all morning with an idea to feed Harvey this lunch-time.
I had an idea of the kind of thing I wanted to make, pizza-esk but I did that the other day (and harvey said he didn't want that again) I wanted to make something bready but more interesting than bread.
While I was scouting the net for ideas I remembered a recipe for cornbread I found on the internet months ago - and liking all things American I saved the recipe.
The problem was I didn't have half the ingredients the recipe required! No cornflour, no polenta, no buttermilk, no chilli and no onions!!! I really need to go shopping!!!
So I had to improvise - which I'm getting pretty good at :-)
I hope you like them as much as we did................
Cornbread Muffins my way
250g self raising flour
150ml semi-skimmed milk
100g mature cheddar, grated
90g butter, melted
2 large eggs
1tsp baking powder
1tsb ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6
- Grease 12 hole muffin tin with some of the melted butter
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and cheese together
- Using hand held blender, blend the milk and eggs
- Add the butter to the liquid mixture
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Add the sweetcorn until evenly incorperated
- Fill the muffin tin to the top of each hole (muffins don't rise very much)
- Bake in the oven for 25mins check with a toothpick to make sure they are cooked through
Eat fresh from the oven, or leave to cool and reheat then blob on some butter!! Yummy!!
Harvey and what was left of his muffins :-)
xx Kat xx