My Bessie mate Heidi turned 28 so I was like "What's your favourite cake?" and she was like "Carrot".... nuff said :-)
Carrot Cake Recipe makes 24 cupcakes (or a 2-3 layer cake)**
300g carrots - grated
100g chopped walnuts
2 Large eggs
300g soft brown sugar
240ml sunflower oil
240g self raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla extract not essance
1 tsp baking powder
Frosting....... I should be saying "icing", as I'm English and all, but frosting sounds much better, just like zee sounds better than zed at the end of the alphabet.
Gotta love those Americans!!
320g butter - unsalted @ room temp
600g icing sugar
4-5 tsp lemon juice - add juice to your own taste
I use a stand mixer for all my baking but a hand held whisk and/or some elbow grease works just as well!
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg/gas mark 4
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl
- Whisk sugar & eggs for 3-5 mins on medium setting*
- Slowly add oil to sugar & eggs (still whisking)
- Fold in dry ingredients until just combined
- Fold in carrots and walnuts until evenly distributed
- Bake for 25-30mins I use a tooth pick in the centre cake to make sure they are baked through
* While my mixer is doing all the work I put my cases in the baking tin. Orange cases work best for these cakes, in my opinion ;-)
** Half all ingredients for 12 cupcakes (except the eggs, you will need 2 medium eggs for 12 cupcakes)
To make the frosting.......
- Whisk the butter until very light in colour
- Add the icing sugar in small batches until fully incorperated
- Add the lemon juice and mix in slowly
- If your frosting is runnier than you require, add more icing sugar
Wait for cakes to cool then dollop on your frosting however you wish. I spooned on a generous amount of frosting then dabbed with a teaspoon to make lots of small peaks, and I think it looks pretty darn good!
Dust on some cinnamon
Sprinkle on some chopped walnuts
Munch away my pets :-D
xx Kat xx