Last week was my first back to work *crys* it was also the week of major birthdays (manic doesn't quite cover it). Aunty P was 90 and my Grandad was 70 ~ It baffles my mind to think that Aunty P was 20 when my Grandad was born!!
This is how my week went......
Monday ~ Working ~ Sister-in-law in my house looking after the kids
Tuesday ~ Me at home for fun and games
Wednesday ~ Working ~ Mother-in-law in my house looking after the kids (Deep breaths Kathrine, deep breaths)
Thursday ~ Working ~ Kids to Nursery, for the first time, then visiting Aunty P (didn't get then until 6:30pm)
Friday ~ Me at home (holiday to cover childcare) for fun and games
Saturday ~ Baking these scrummy cakes for Grandad while Brads was at work, not easy with 2 little boys I can tell ya!! :-)
Sunday ~ Drove to Herefordshire/Wales in the morning with kids and cakes, had fun with the family, drove home, picked up sister-in-law from her town to bring her to our house for Monday again.
We set off for Grandad's at 8am and after 1 wee break, two poo breaks, one wrong turn and 4 Sunday drivers we finally arrived 3 1/2 hours later......yes, on the way back we drove past the crash site on the M5, and no, I do not want to drive on the motorway ever again!! The boys were perfect there and back (which is a miracle!!)
On a happier note, these cakes were loved by all who scoffed them :-) I hope your loved ones enjoy them as much as mine did!
Sponge Recipe ~ makes 12 cupcakes
50g cocoa powder
150g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp coffee powder
1 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat over to 180/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 6 cases
- Put dry ingredients into a bowl
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time making sure one is fully incorporated before adding the next
- Mix in the vanilla extract and golden syrup.
- Add dry ingredients and fold in until just combined
- Divide mix evenly between 12 cupcake cases
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- When baked, place on cooling rack to cool
320g icing sugar
3 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp chocolate spread
- Mix cocoa powder with boiling water and stir until completely dissolved, set aside to cool
- Cream the butter
- Add the icing sugar 100g at a time mixing each one in fully
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture
- Finally mix in the chocolate spread and mix on high for 1-2 minutes
Frost as desired and ENJOY!!!
xx Kat xx
This post is dedicated to the victims of the M5 Crash on 4th November 2011